Salisbury University students on campus

Referring a Student

Students face challenges often seek help from those in their support system. This often includes faculty, staff, parents, and friends. Due to this, it is imperative that you are able to recognize signs of distress, know the parameters of your role, and effectively refer students to appropriate mental health resources when needed. This is increasingly important, as research has repeatedly shown more severe mental health problems manifesting among students than in the past. Below you can find useful information to help you appropriately refer students so they can receive the help they need.

It is strongly recommended that all SU faculty, staff, and students complete Kognito At-Risk training to ensure that you are equip to effectively refer students. Completing the training that corresponds with your role will not only help those around you, but could save lives, as increasingly high percentages of students report seriously considering suicide. To learn more and start your free interactive training, visit our Kognito webpage.

The Purple Folder is another helpful resource for faculty and staff. This document outlines resources, warning signs, how to intervene, and where to refer. Download a digital copy in PDF format.

Concern for Student Safety

If you, or another student, is in immediate danger call 911. For concerns about a student’s immediate safety, call University Police at 410-543-6222 or their local police department.

If you are concerned about a student’s wellbeing who is not in immediate danger, and the concern is not clearly, or solely, related to their mental health (ex. absent from class, change in appearance, behavioral problems) report it to the SU CARE Team by creating an Online CARE ReportIf you are not sure who to contact read our Know How to Get Help information sheet to learn more.

Urgent appointments are available at the Counseling Center for students during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30 pm. However, if it is after 3:30 pm, off-campus crisis resources are recommended. You can also use off-campus crisis resources afterhours, anytime SU is closed, or it is preferred for any other reason.

Determining Where To Refer

There are many reasons why you may talk to a student about the Counseling Center. When doing so, it is important to remember that the Center is here to help students with their mental health concerns. If the student is struggling with academics, need accommodations for a disability, are being disruptive or inappropriate in class, or are having other related issues, they may benefit from a referral to another office on campus. To learn more about the Counseling Center’s services, you can visit our Services web page.

When and How to Refer

Confidentiality Statement

All client contacts and information obtained in the course of treatment is confidential. No information will be released without written authorization from the client, except in the rare cases of imminent danger or as required by law when there is a suspicion of child abuse, elder abuse or a court order. To learn more visit our Confidentiality webpage